68 Northampton Avenue
This beautiful Mediterranean home welcomes you in to a dramatic open entryway with a peaked circular ceiling. The curving central stairwell with detailed iron railings is the heart of this elegant home. From the parquet floor entry you step down to the grand living room, featuring an original arched window looking out on the terrace, providing views of mature trees as well as a glimpse of Mt. Tamalpais. Throughout this 1928 home, extensive updates blend seamlessly with period architectural details. New glass bricks* surround the fireplace, offering a contemporary aspect to a classic feature, complementing the original carved and stenciled beams.
New quartz counters and Italian tile backsplash were just added to the handsome kitchen, and further highlight the impressive La Cornue stove.* In addition to the formal dining room, there's also a breakfast room with original built-ins and garden views. Take your morning coffee or an afternoon glass of wine in the solarium, which opens to the zen-like garden, terraced around a central fountain, with mature and exotic plantings. A multi-level pond with a waterfall at the top provides the wonderfully calming sound of water!
Follow the curving staircase to an upper solarium, two spacious bedrooms and a full bathroom upstairs with both shower and claw foot tub. The master suite is enchanting, with a stone fireplace, views of Mt. Tamalpais from its own tiled balcony, and an exceptional marble bathroom with views of the garden. From here you can enjoy watching the more than three dozen colorful koi in their pond.
A lower level studio room features a kitchenette and has its own full bathroom, ideal for guests, a recreation space… or wonderful storage. A circular stair leads down further to a washer/dryer and storage. The main laundry room is a separate space behind the studio, and also can be accessed from an exterior entrance. The studio has been used as a rental space in the past. Buyers may wish to consider relocating one of the two sets of washer/dryers to the deep pantry off the kitchen, which may be a more convenient location.
The home features:
- Welcoming stone steps and iron archway & railings
- Spacious front tiled terrace
- Refinished hardwood floors*
- Newly painted interior* (exterior painted in 2014)
- Mostly dual-pane wood windows and patio doors
- Newly tiled fireplace in living room*
- Powder room on main level
- Tankless water heater
- Hot tub at upper level of terraced garden
- Wine cage and storage in the crawl space
- Measured square footage is 2618, plus 413 sq.ft. in the lower finished space
Updated kitchen features:
- La Cornue CornuFé range with dual fuel ovens
- Powerful stainless exhaust hood with warming lights
- Other high-end stainless steel appliances, including refrigerator with French doors
- New quartz counters, Italian subway tile backsplash*
- New deep stainless sink and faucet*
- Wood cabinets with custom closures
- Separate walk-in pantry
Master suite features:
- Carrera marble tiles on walls and floor
- Skylights and picture windows with views of the koi pond
- Walk-in dual shower with leaded window, Grohe multi-jet shower fixtures
- Clawfoot tub
- Toto sink and new Toto toilet